develooper Front page | perl.advocacy | Postings from March 2001

Microsoft and Perl

From:
Bryan C. Warnock
Date:
March 14, 2001 05:58
Subject:
Microsoft and Perl
Message ID:
01031408453400.00792@idiocy
A fellow consultant was conducting training at a large company in New York
City on a product that is largely Perl based.

The environment erupted into chaos, as the trainees more or less revolted
everytime Perl was mentioned, eventually resulting in the dismissal
of our trainer from that project.  (And from ever training on that product
again, as the company whose product it was wasn't very happy.)

This seemed to stem from, and I quote, "They are a Microsoft shop and have
been mandated not to do Perl."

I couldn't get any more information as to who issued the mandate, or why.
Has anyone in the advocacy world seen or heard of something like this before?
Has Redmond been issuing these mandates, or hinting ("wink, wink, nudge,
nudge") that they be issued?

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@capita.com