develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from June 2001

Re: httpd fails to start after installing new perl version

From:
Michael D . Risser
Date:
June 22, 2001 08:49
Re: httpd fails to start after installing new perl version
Message ID:
01062208503501.02969@defiant.visionpro.com
On Wednesday 20 June 2001 06:46 am, you wrote:
> hello all,
>
> i get the following error message when trying to start the httpd:
>
> Starting httpd: [Wed Jun 20 15:03:12 2001] [error] Can't locate
> Apache.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl . /etc/httpd/
> /etc/httpd/lib/perl) at (eval 1) line 3.
>
> my system is redhat7.1, i installed apache and perl via rpm. then i had
> problems installing the dbi / dbd::mysql driver and got the current
> stable perl sources (5.6.1) from cpan and installed it after first
> deleting perl5.6.0 via rpm -e. installation of dbi/dbd then worked fine
> but starting http did not work from now on.
> i installed apache_1.3.20 again but with no effect :(
> the location of Apache.pm is /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/CGI/Apache.pm
>
> i just can' understand why @INC contains the path to the old version of
> perl? where can i change this?
> or what else could i do? what did i do wrong? (you see, i am a true
> beginner)
>
> thanks in advance
> tina

It appears that the RPM for Apache is not picking up your Perl install. I
personally always install Apache from source, as this avoids problems like
this.

Since you're running RH7.1, I would suggest using the ApacheToolbox to
install Apache and Perl, you can get it from http://www.apachetoolbox.org.
Since its menu driven, the Toolbox greatly simplifies installing/setting-up a
web server.