develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from June 2001

Re: A gentle reminder about jeopardy quoting

From:
Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Date:
June 5, 2001 09:24
Re: A gentle reminder about jeopardy quoting
Message ID:
20010605112324.B210@chaos.wustl.edu
Mark Folse [markfolse@rocketmail.com] quoth:
*>--- Eduard Grinvald <eg344@nyu.edu> wrote:
*>> Umm, let's get back to perl, please... Etiquette is nice, but is
*>> hardly the point of this list.

Perhaps not, but making email easy to read and reply to is certainly a good
goal to have. Lotus and MS and other MUAs don't come configured to wrap or
quote properly for easy reading outside of that client so it is helpful to
point this out to those who may not be aware of it. The easier your email
is to read, the more likely it will get a reply and/or an answer.

In large groups of people etiquette is essential for keeping some
semblance of civility. With several hundred email a day, good email
etiquette is essential to helping people read through them without giving
up and killing the thread or leaving the list. It's a nit I'll continue to
pick on as 98% of the other Perl lists are not at all tolerant of this
sort of email.

*>I think gentle etiquette reminders are fine, if they don't begin to bog
*>down the list. Perhaps a short list etiquette mailing once a week or so
*>for new users, similar to FAQ postings, would be in order.

Not a bad idea but I don't much like rules since people like to go out of
their way to break them and seemingly FAQs are the last thing people read
:)

e.