develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from December 2001

Re: STDIN

From:
Curtis Poe
Date:
December 20, 2001 08:34
Re: STDIN
Message ID:
20011220163439.49494.qmail@web9103.mail.yahoo.com
--- walter valenti <waltervalenti@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> someone knows, how insert text gron STDIN, without see this on the
> shell??
>
> For example for insert a password..

Walter,

I *think* what you are asking is "How do I get a password from STDIN without it showing up on the
screen?"

    use Term::ReadKey;

    ReadMode('noecho');
    $password = ReadLine(0);

I've never used that before but some may be curious how I found it.  Here's the trick:

    perldoc perltoc > perltoc.txt

That pipes the perltoc (Perl Table of Contents) to a text file.  I sometimes scan through this
file to pick up new tricks.  When I see something that interests me (such as "password"), I scan
through the relevant entries.  In this case, I saw the following entries:

    [snip]
    How do I clear the screen?
    How do I get the screen size?
    How do I ask the user for a password?
    How do I read and write the serial port?
    [snip]

The one about asking a user for a password looked useful, so I typed in:

    perldoc -q "How do I ask the user for a password?"

That actually gave a lot more information than what I sent you, so you should give it a try :)

The '-q' options stands for "FAQ keyword", but it can just as easily stand for 'question'.

Cheers,
Curtis "Ovid" Poe

=====
"Ovid" on http://www.perlmonks.org/
Someone asked me how to count to 10 in Perl:
push@A,$_ for reverse q.e...q.n.;for(@A){$_=unpack(q|c|,$_);@a=split//;
shift@a;shift@a if $a[$[]eq$[;$_=join q||,@a};print $_,$/for reverse @A