Re: Threads, reentrancy, and suchlike things (was: Re: Working Group Proposal)

From:
simon
Date:
July 24, 2000 08:36
Re: Threads, reentrancy, and suchlike things (was: Re: Working Group Proposal)
Message ID:
slrn8nooio.cgv.simon@justanother.perlhacker.org
Kurt D. Starsinic (lists.bootstrap):
>    It seems sane to me to avoid _one_ well-implemented library based
>on policy.

OK, I note your stress on the word "one". So we'll make a policy of
avoiding glib, even though it gives us many of the things we want to
implement. What about libunicode? Should the people in Perl 6's unicode
team have to duplicate the effort there? Or iconv?

I don't know. Maybe I'm biased. I tried to implement a character set
conversion library, and then I looked around and saw that it all the
work I had to sit down and do had already been done. And I couldn't use
it, because we had a policy.

Are we here for policy, or practicality?

--
<ua> The dumb joke of the day is: "Call Microsoft. When the operator
answers, "Microsoft, may I help you?" respond: "I can't understand you.