develooper Front page | perl.tips | Postings from July 2001

Perl Tip 1: 'What's the right way to write "Perl"'

From:
Ask Bjoern Hansen
Date:
July 13, 2001 06:31
Subject:
Perl Tip 1: 'What's the right way to write "Perl"'
Message ID:
Pine.BSF.4.21.0107130617260.44488-100000@onion.valueclick.com

Finally! We are starting to send out tips. We can't promise
that they'll go out daily, but they'll go out. :-)

  What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?

 "One bit.  Oh, you weren't talking ASCII? :-) Larry now
  uses "Perl" to signify the language proper and "perl" the
  implementation of it, i.e. the current interpreter.  Hence
  Tom's quip that "Nothing but perl can parse Perl."  You
  may or may not choose to follow this usage.  For example,
  parallelism means "awk and perl" and "Python and Perl"
  look OK, while "awk and Perl" and "Python and perl" do
  not.  But never write "PERL", because perl isn't really an
  acronym, apocryphal folklore and post-facto expansions
  notwithstanding."

This is from the Perl FAQ distributed with perl. The next tip will be
about how to use the perldoc system to get quick help and access the
reference documentation.