develooper Front page | perl.datetime | Postings from January 2003

Re: Which DOW is day #1?

From:
Rich Bowen
Date:
January 12, 2003 07:49
Re: Which DOW is day #1?
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.33.0301121045320.24228-100000@rhiannon.rcbowen.com
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, John Peacock wrote:

> Dave Rolsky wrote:
> >
> > I'm inclined to go with ISO rather than backwards compatibility with C.
> >

> We really have to go with ISO because that battle has already been fought and
> won(?) in the international community.  And we have already committed to ignore
> localtime's perversions when required...

Well, I was going to say the following:

This is not about either ISO standard or backward compatibility with C,
but about common usage. People think of Sunday as the first day, and so
we should stick with that, so as not to confuse people.

However, based on your comment, I'm not sure if that is the case. So
perhaps, in my parochial view of the world (which I like to think of as
anything but parochial!) "people" means "Americans with Christian
heritage."

Can you elaborate on your "fought and won" comment? Because it is not
nearly as clear as that to me. I very firmly think of Sunday as day 1,
and have thought that long before I used Perl, and every calendar that I
saw at the mall over the last several weeks displays the week that way.

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings