develooper Front page | perl.dbi.users | Postings from April 2001

DBD::Pg 0.96 and DBI 1.15 ignoring username and password

From:
Brett W. McCoy
Date:
April 14, 2001 17:35
DBD::Pg 0.96 and DBI 1.15 ignoring username and password
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.30.0104142018080.12687-100000@chapelperilous.net
I've just upgraded to DBD::Pg 0.96 and DBI 1.15, and now every script I
have that uses DBI gives me this error:

1.15 at ./dbi-test line 6
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/DBD/Pg.pm line 94.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/DBD/Pg.pm line 94.
DBI->connect(dbname=cp) failed: fe_sendauth: no password supplied at
./dbi-test line 8

The test.pl script used in the DBD 'make test' also failed with this
error.  I have not changed anything in my PostgreSQL (7.1beta3) setup or
in my scripts.

I have password authentication set for local users, and do have $PGHOST
set accordingly.  Logging into psql works fine, but all of my Perl DBI
scripts are failing.

Here is a test program that is causing this error (the real user name and
password are changed):

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use DBI;

warn $DBI::VERSION;

my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Pg:dbname=cp', 'user', 'passwd') or DBI-errstr;

$dbh->disconnect();

This gives the error output above also.

If I change pg_hba.conf to 'trust' on localhost, (and unset $PGHOST) and I
run the same script, it tells me that 'bmccoy' (who I am logged in as)
does not exist as a user (which is true).  It looks like the user and
password fields are being completely ignored by DBD::Pg.

What happened?

-- Brett
				   http://www.chapelperilous.net/btfwk/
Adapt.  Enjoy.  Survive.