develooper Front page | perl.dbi.users | Postings from July 2001

Checking for the existence of a certain row.

From:
James Kufrovich
Date:
July 6, 2001 14:09
Subject:
Checking for the existence of a certain row.
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.10.10107061651050.7221-100000@sunlink.net
Hi.

	I'd like to check for the existence of data in a row of a database
(MySQL), if given the value of a primary key.  ("Is there already a row in
the database that has this value as a key?") I don't care what data is in
the row, or if more than one row (!!) is found.  I'd hope that whatever
method I use will stop searching the database after it finds the first
match.

	What would be the best way to go about this? Is there a special
method that can do this, or would I have to use selectrow_array (or
fetchrow_array or one of those) and then see if it finds anything?  I
suppose I can call 'finish' as soon as a match is found, if the method (or
whatever) doesn't stop by itself.  I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Jamie Kufrovich

Egg, eggie (at) sunlink (dot) net
FMSp3am/MSp3am A- C+ D H+ M+ P+++ R+ T W Z+
Sp#/p++ RL->CT a+ cl++ d? e++ f h* i+ j p+ sm+