develooper Front page | perl.dbi.users | Postings from October 2002

Re: Reading LOB data using Oracle:DBD

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
October 30, 2002 08:08
Re: Reading LOB data using Oracle:DBD
Message ID:
20021030160758.GD22161@dansat.data-plan.com
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 09:21:02AM -0600, Duin, Harry wrote:
> I am new user of Oracle DBI. I can read non LOB data ok, but can not read
> LOB data. I get the error:
>
> DBD::Oracle::db prepare failed: ORA-03115: unsupported network datatype or
> representation (DBD: odescr failed)

Your DBD::Oracle was built using Oracle 7 OCI interface. So it doesn't know
about LOBs.

> I am picking up a DBD::Oracle.pm file that was built on NT by my Oracle DBA.
> But after I installed this file on UNIX, I got this error:
>
> install_driver(Oracle) failed: DBD::Oracle object version 0.59 does not
> match bootstrap parameter 1.06 at
> /binlib/local/perl/perl5.005/lib/5.00502/sun5-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line
> 187.
>
> I then changed the line
> $DBD::Oracle::VERSION = '1.06';
> in Oracle.pm to
> $DBD::Oracle::VERSION = '0.59';
>
> This fixed the error,

That "error" is there to protect you from yourself.
Hacking like that will not lead to happiness.

> Any feedback on what I am doing wrong is appreciated. I am very unclear
> about the need to 'compile' the DBD::Oracle module s/w. I also have no clue
> if the build of this s/w on NT can be used on UNIX.

It can't. You need to install a complete DBD::Oracle built for Windows
(the DBD::Oracle extension is more than just the DBD/Oracle.pm file).

See www.xmlproj.com/cgi/fom.cgi and especially
http://xmlproj.com/fom-serve/cache/62.html

Tim.