develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from March 2002

Re: TPR1 post-mortem

From:
Eugene van der Pijll
Date:
March 8, 2002 08:45
Re: TPR1 post-mortem
Message ID:
20020308164534.GA8675@ruunat.phys.uu.nl
En op 08 maart 2002 sprak Ronald J Kimball:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:33:26AM +0000, Piers Cawley wrote:
> > Stephen Turner <sret1@ntlworld.com> writes:

> > > This reminds me of something. I'd love to know more about the history of
> > > Perl golf. Who invented it, and so on. Does anyone know about this? (And if
> > > so, would it make a good article for TPR? :-)
> >
> > Not sure who invented it, but this
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7km3p5%24gm6%244%40info2.uah.edu&output=gplain
> > appears to be where the term was coined by Greg Bacon.
> >

> Actually, I think it was this one from Greg Bacon, a month earlier:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=7imnti%24mjh%241%40info2.uah.edu
>
> Ronald

That was probably the first occurrence of the term Perl golf, but the
game itself is much older:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1990Mar20.203516.8429%40iwarp.intel.com

"Okay, here's my entry for the shortest self-reproducing Perl program.
Any takers for shorter?  Any one liners?"

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1992Mar31.222415.19043%40uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU

"A friend asked me to write the shortest script I could to collapse
multiple blank lines down to one."

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1993Jul23.213258.2943%40clarinet.com

 Subject: 10 little indians in Perl?

That last one was a real golf thread as seen also on FWP, with remarks
like: "Much too much time on my hands..." and "reverse one of the ?
tests and we chop off another one"

Of course, some people can do a golf thread all by themselves in one
post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1991Apr29.072206.5621%40jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

Eugene