develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from March 2002

Self extracting Perl ARchive?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
March 31, 2002 22:31
Subject:
Self extracting Perl ARchive?
Message ID:
20020401063108.GD6821@blackrider
The concept of PAR just came up again (Perl ARchive, like a JAR) on
#perl.  JAR files are just fancy zip files, and Java comes with a
utility to decompress and read them.  Perl doesn't come distributed
with any way to decompress anything.

So the first step towards PAR is to have a small, efficient,
cross-platform, pure Perl decompression program.  So here's the task
for FWP:

Create a small (doesn't have to be golf), efficient, cross-platform
and pure Perl program to decompress the data attached via __DATA__.
The compression format is up to you.  tgz, tbz, zip, cpio.. whatever.
Just as long as it compresses decently and decompresses without a lot
of effort.

--

Perl Quality Assurance	    <perl-qa@perl.org>	       Kwalitee Is Job One
There is nothing wrong.  We have taken control of this sig file.  We will