develooper Front page | perl.inline | Postings from March 2002

Re: Specific Inline::C usage

From:
James Michael DuPont
Date:
March 6, 2002 22:44
Re: Specific Inline::C usage
Message ID:
20020307064405.75657.qmail@web13305.mail.yahoo.com
Matthew,

> I want to recompile cvs as a library and write just
> enough Inline::C
> code to access that library's functions.

This sounds like what inline is made for,
and brings me back to my current question about the
GPL.
I'll try to stay focused to the current problem
thought <grin>.

One question for me again is that of licencing of
inlined modules. And that CVS is GPLd, it is
appropriate to bring that up here.

Can it be possible that just because you link to a
GPLed code via PAL licence that the user of the
Inline::Lib cannot create a closed source application
that uses the GPLED?
That the GPL faq says that dual licences
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL

"A consequence is that if you choose to use GPL'd Perl
modules or Java
classes in your program, you must release the program
in a GPL-compatible way, regardless of the license
used in the Perl or Java
interpreter that the combined Perl or Java program
will run on."

Anyway, the CVS authors might not be dead-set against
creating an API, even if other tools don't have to be
GPLed. The GPL always allows you to ask permission (if
you care to).

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont