develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from January 2002

HFS+ and directory layout

From:
Dan Kogai
Date:
January 7, 2002 11:12
Subject:
HFS+ and directory layout
Message ID:
7D8C103F-03A2-11D6-9468-00039301D480@dan.co.jp
On Tuesday, December 25, 2001, at 03:25 AM, larsen@libero.it wrote:
 > The second part was changing every occurrence of
 > 'parrot' to 'test_prog' in every Test.pm file
 > that is part of the test suites. This is what I
 > was missing. Now my Parrot 0.0.3 installation works.

Yow, that's not fun.  The parrot distribution should be corrected so
that it can compile more easily on platforms like this.

Maybe.  this case-preserving, yet case-insensitive nature of HFS(+)
sometimes bites you when you are used to ffs and its variants (including
UFS).

* perl itself requires UFS to compile because of this
* HEAD command of LWP command clobbers /usr/bin/head when you blindly
install LWP via CPAN

The first one comes with an easy solution.  You simply make a UFS disk
image and use it when you compile.

* Second one is more of the problem of how you configure Perl
installation.  I consider standard "layout" for Perl on MacOS X too
dangerous (do you hear me, Sanchez?)

installbindir and installscriptdir should've been /usr/local/bin, not
/usr/bin.

For the time being I replace the layout of perl-related directory like
FreeBSD convention, with "i368-freebsd" replaced with "darwin".  But I
would appreciate if the standard hint file is updated...

Dan the Man with Too Many Camels to Breed on too Many Platforms