develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from January 2002

perl 5.6.1, Expat, etc.

From:
Joel Rodrigues
Date:
January 10, 2002 20:58
Subject:
perl 5.6.1, Expat, etc.
Message ID:
EA19B01A-064F-11D6-95C2-0005024EF27F@yahoo.co.uk
Olá Everyone,

I've been using OS X (10.1 > 10.1.2) full time straight off from
OS 8. While I initially had no intention of tinkering with Perl,
instead choosing to use Java Servlets (a working kit for which
incidentally took a couple of days to get up & running), the
high cost of Servlet enabled hosting led me back to Perl.

Anyhoo, it's taken about a week so far, with 2 OS X
reinstalls (!), but I've now got a reasonably fault free Perl
setup. Still a couple of days before I have the time to get
MySQL (I tried the one from
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/, but I found something
screwy with it, and got rid of it to move to the official one
from mysql.com) & all that DBI stuff up. It's been an
adventure...

Along the way I took notes & found a lot of helpful info.

Re. LWP : See http://sial.org/code/perl/docs/life-with-cpan.txt
"Life with CPAN". Simply use this command :
"perl Makefile.PL INSTALLBIN=/usr/local/bin
INSTALLSCRIPT=/usr/local/bin"

> HEAD may be a poor naming choice for a command that regularly
> gets put onto a Unix system.
Understatement.

Perl 5.6.1 = dead easy to compile with only 2 preparatory steps :
1. Make that environment.plist file.
2. Fix hints/darwin.sh

There are some seriously/dangerously flawed instructions here :
http://www.nwlink.com/~danallen/BuildingPerl.htm

And here's a bit of "not bad for a Unix idiot" :

I got expat-1.95.2 to build flawlessly on OS X 10.1.2 !

I've posted that info to the SourceForge Expat site :

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=502187&group_id=10127&
atid=310127

Tchau !
- Joel