develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from September 2002

Re: camelbones with 5.8.0

From:
Sherm Pendley
Date:
September 2, 2002 12:17
Re: camelbones with 5.8.0
Message ID:
794D04CA-BEA8-11D6-A7F1-0030656B202A@dot-app.org
On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 01:53 PM, Vincent D Murphy wrote:

> i upgraded perl to 5.8.0 on my 10.1.4 box last week.  now i want to use
> camelbones.

Before I get to your real question, I'd like to point out one thing.
Using CB this way will mean that all of your end users will also have to
upgrade their machines to 5.8.0. If your application is intended for
your own use, or to be used by other Perl hackers, that's probably not a
major problem. It could be a problem, however, if your end users are
non-technical types who expect to simply download your app and drop it
on their desktops.

>   the website says you will need to rebuild camelbones from source to
> relink it against your perl if it is different from 5.6.0.

That's almost certainly true if you've upgraded to 5.8.0, but it's a bit
of a simplification.

Strictly speaking, you only need to rebuild CB if the embedding API of
the Perl you've installed is different from that of 5.6.0. I have heard
reports from some users who have upgraded to 5.6.1, configured it
identically to the stock 5.6.0 installation, and haven't had to rebuild
CB. YMMV.

> my question is: how do i rebuild camelbones from source?  i don't know
> where to find the source on my machine,

I'm assuming you didn't check it out from CVS - if you did, it's
wherever you put it. ;-)

Assuming it's installed in the default location, the source should be in
/Developer/Source/CamelBones/. Also, there should be some example
projects in /Developer/Examples/CamelBones/.

>  and even if i knew i suspect the recipe would be different from the
> "make;make test;make install" i am accustomed to.

Your suspicion is quite correct - it's built using Project Builder. For
safety's sake, you should make a copy of the source folder in your home
directory. If you'd prefer to build it where it is, you may need to make
it world writable - it's only writable by the admin user by default.

Open up CamelBones.pbproj in Project Builder, build it, and copy the
resulting "CamelBones.framework" bundle into /Library/Frameworks/.

Once you've done this, you'll probably need to rebuild (or at least
relink) any applications that use CB - you can find the source for ShuX
in /Developer/Examples/CamelBones/ShuX/. The recipe is the same as that
for CB - make a local copy of the folder, open the project in PB, build,
and copy the result to /Applications/.

sherm--

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law
against it by that time.