develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from October 2002

Re: [OT] Shareware (was: Re: What up with the mac)

From:
Packy Anderson
Date:
October 11, 2002 08:07
Re: [OT] Shareware (was: Re: What up with the mac)
Message ID:
42060.204.97.183.3.1034347723.squirrel@www.dardan.com
Ask Solem Hoel [ask@startsiden.no] said:
> It's sad to come from a free software environment
> and find that the things you rely on come as dozens of small
> programs you don't know the reliability of for $20 each.

Ok, besides having the source at your disposal to modify
things as you see fit, how does this differ from open source
software?  A lot of open source stuff for OS X is functionally
equivalent to shareware for me: it involves APIs I don't
recognize and would rather not have to learn, so I'm never
going to touch the source.  Then the only difference between
open source and shareware becomes whether the author asks for
help coding or a few bucks.

> Now if there were a console mode I could use that instead
> of a virtual desktop for programming.
> The terminal is still painfully slow, or maybe it doesn't
> support people that write faster than the refresh rate :)

I don't know what kind of system you're using, but I'm on a
333Mhz Lombard, and Terminal seems pretty snappy for me.  I've
never been able to outtype it.

-packy
--
Packy Anderson