develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from October 2002

Re: OS X meltdown

From:
Trey Harris
Date:
October 23, 2002 11:12
Re: OS X meltdown
Message ID:
Pine.BSF.4.44.0210231406110.18579-100000@bowser.eecs.harvard.edu
In a message dated Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. writes:
> You could have a bad hard drive. That might explain the behavior you are
> seeing. Wiping the drive and reinstalling OS X may work. But if it's the
> drive, you're not out of the woods.

Yeah, but this whole episode was presaged by a spinning-beachball-of-death
attack.  One of those where a seemingly innocuous click on a menu starts
the spinning ball in one app, and then over the next minute or two, the
spinning ball "spreads" to every other app, you can't logout--you can't
pull up a logout dialog--attempts to ssh in never respond, etc.  This
happens with some regularity to me, and the only answer seems to be to
just powerdown.  Am I the only one who sees this?  It must happen once a
month or more, though it seems to be somewhat rarer with Jaguar than it
was with 10.1.

*That's* what caused the hour-long fsck, I think--cycling power on a
running machine.  Maybe there's disk problems too, but I don't want to
think about that yet...

Trey