develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from December 2002

Compile readline on Mac OS X 10.2.x

From:
David Wheeler
Date:
December 22, 2002 13:14
Subject:
Compile readline on Mac OS X 10.2.x
Message ID:
67E4BA7C-15F2-11D7-8439-0003931A964A@wheeler.net
Hi All,

I finally found some decent instructions for compiling readline on
Jaguar (readline makes using PostgreSQL a lot easier). Apparently, it
works fine on Mac OS X 10.1.x, but in Jaguar, Apple apparently moved
some libraries around. The result was that one often saw this one one
tried to compile readline:

ld: Undefined symbols:
restFP
saveFP
_tgoto
_tputs
_tgetent
_tgetflag
_tgetnum
_tgetstr
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[1]: *** [libreadline.4.3.dylib] Error 1
make: [shared] Error 2 (ignored)

This can be addressed by editing the file support/shobj-conf to point
help the compiler find the libraries. Just change

      SHLIB_LIBS='-lSystem'

to:

      SHLIB_LIBS='-lSystem -lncurses -lcc_dynamic'

Here are the commands in reduced form:

  % curl -O ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/readline/readline-4.3.tar.gz
  % tar zxvf readline-4.3.tar.gz
  % cd readline-4.3
  % perl -i.bak -p -e \
     "s/SHLIB_LIBS=.*/SHLIB_LIBS='-lSystem -lncurses -lcc_dynamic'/g" \
     support/shobj-conf
  % ./configure
  % make
  % make install

The instructions I found are here (yes, for Pythoners):

http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen/InstallingPython2.2.1OnJaguar.html

Enjoy,

David

--