develooper Front page | perl.makemaker | Postings from April 2002

Re: Bizarre: MakeMaker won't install itself

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
April 21, 2002 21:47
Re: Bizarre: MakeMaker won't install itself
Message ID:
20020422044739.GA2690@blackrider
On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 10:07:04PM +1000, Ken Williams wrote:
> On Sunday, April 21, 2002, at 08:54 PM, Ken Williams wrote:
> >It didn't actually install any Perl modules!  It didn't even try,
> >either - note that it doesn't say it's "skipping" them either.  My
> >blib/ tree is built correctly, but blib/lib just isn't getting put
> >anywhere.
>
> I've done a little more investigating by running 'make install
> VERBINST=1'.  Doing this, I notice lines like the following:

> ....snip...
> Skipping /usr/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/Command.pm (unchanged)
> Skipping /usr/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/Install.pm (unchanged)
> Skipping /usr/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/Installed.pm (unchanged)
> ....snip...
>
> WHOA, /usr/lib/perl5/ ???  Where is that getting set?  It's not in my
> @INC, and right now the only thing contained in /usr/lib/perl5/ is the
> stuff that it seems to have (successfully) installed several attempts
> ago.
>
> I'm on OS X 10.1.3, with the following potentially relevant bits in
> Config.pm:

> installsitearch='/Library/Perl/darwin'
> installsitelib='/Library/Perl'
> privlib='/System/Library/Perl'
> sitearch='/Library/Perl/darwin'
> sitearchexp='/Library/Perl/darwin'
> sitelib='/Library/Perl'
> sitelib_stem='/Library/Perl'
> sitelibexp='/Library/Perl'
> prefix='/usr'
> installbin='/usr/bin'
> installman1dir='/usr/share/man/man1'
> installman3dir='/usr/share/man/man3'
> installprefix='/usr'
> installprefixexp='/usr'
> installscript='/usr/bin'
> installsitebin='/usr/local/bin'
>
> I'm guessing that this has something to do with the new PREFIX logic?
> Seems like it's respecting PREFIX ($Config{prefix}) a bit too much now.

<record type=broken>Can I see your Makefile?</record>

I think you're right.  It's trying to prefixify regardless of if you
gave it a new PREFIX.  This means "make install PREFIX=something" will work,
but it causes the problem above.

Welp, it's gotta work.  Rather than having "make install PREFIX=something"
work sometimes, I'm going to scratch it out completely.

--

Perl Quality Assurance	    <perl-qa@perl.org>	       Kwalitee Is Job One
36 haikus