develooper Front page | perl.makemaker | Postings from May 2003

Fwd: Re: ExtUtils::Installed has a limited view of the world

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
May 23, 2003 16:54
Fwd: Re: ExtUtils::Installed has a limited view of the world
Message ID:
20030523235447.GD12427@windhund.schwern.org
Cleaning out my inbox, I noticed a patch I dropped on the floor quite a
while ago.  Seems sane.  Comments?

----- Forwarded message from "Matthew O. Persico" <persicom@acedsl.com> -----

From: "Matthew O. Persico" <persicom@acedsl.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:39:27 -0500
To: <rgarciasuarez@free.fr>
Cc: <perl5-porters@perl.org>, <mschwern@cpan.org>
Subject: Re: ExtUtils::Installed has a limited view of the world

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:18:00 +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez spaketh:
>Matthew O. Persico wrote:
>>When looking for installed packages, EU::Installed only looks at
>>$Config{archlib} and $Config{sitearch}. But, for political reasons,
>>I have modules spread all over the place, all findable by dint of
>>their locations being in PERL5LIB and, therefore, in @INC.
>>
>>Is there a good reason why EU::Installed does not search @INC? Will
>>a patch to change behaviour be accepted? I do not want to change
>>the default behavior of the module, so I think the best way to
>>indicate that I want to search @INC (or any other set of dirs) is
>>to pass the dirs as an argument to new(). If someone would be so
>>kind as to point out the correct switches to throw on diff, I'd be
>>more than happy to append a patch against ExtUtils::Installed.pm
>>0.06 in ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.05
>
>Unified diffs are preferred (context diffs if you don't have GNU
>diff).
>What would be enjoyed by all is a corresponding patch to the test
>script, t/Installed.t.

Attached please find tarball with three patches:
	Installed.pm.patch - to implement and document (POD) the above-mentioned functionality
	Installed.t.patch - to test same
	Changes.patch - to explain same.
Patch commands were
	diff -U 3 origfile newfile | tee patchfile
Place the tarball in the same directory as ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.05.tar.gz. Unwind. Patches will end up in the same directories as files to be patched.

Enjoy
--
Matthew O. Persico

----- End forwarded message -----

--
"He's cold-resistant, generally unemployed, and comfortable talking or
silent, and he knows how to read a map"