develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from November 2001

benevolent dictator

From:
Stephen Adkins
Date:
November 9, 2001 06:26
Subject:
benevolent dictator
Message ID:
3.0.6.32.20011109093325.008cf530@pop3.norton.antivirus
Hi,

Since no one else wanted the job, I hereby assume the role
of Benevolent Dictator for the P5EE project.

Other titles might be

 * Pumpking of Last Resort
   (I will pick up a ball and run with it if no one else
   will, or I may decide that the ball needs to lie just
   where it was dropped)

 * Decider of the Woodshed Color
   (so that the community does not get deadlocked on
   little things that)

 * Coordinator of Consensus and Facilitator of the Artful Compromise
   (unity and a Single P5EE really is the goal, but this
   must be fashioned over time out of the realities of
   diversity and flexibility. E pluribus unum.)

 * Initiator of Grand Ideas
   (someone's got to be stupid enough to claim that Perl could
   rule the world)

 * Just Another Perl Hacker
   (JAPH's will drive the process forward, not the BD. I intend
   to be JAPH, hoping that the whole will be greater than the
   sum of its parts.)

 * Benefactor of the Good Work of Others
   (The real stars of P5EE will always be the people who get
   things done.)

 * Governor of the Governable
   (only the willingness of those who wish to participate in
   a community will give the community's leadership any ability
   to get anything done.)

I assume that at least

 * Brian Moseley
 * Chris Winters
 * Gunther Birznieks

are on board with this, seeing as they showed support for this
already on the mailing list.

There are two important organizational steps I want to initiate
now, and I will send them in separate emails so they get their
own threads in the discussion archive.

Stephen