develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from November 2001

P5EEX: organizing the prototyping namespace

From:
Stephen Adkins
Date:
November 9, 2001 07:27
Subject:
P5EEX: organizing the prototyping namespace
Message ID:
3.0.6.32.20011109103504.008cc610@pop3.norton.antivirus
Hi,

As soon as the CVS repository comes online at perl.org,
we need to know how we are going to use it.
The question is:

 * Who wants an experimental code name to prototype under?

I proposed in an earlier e-mail for a P5EEX:: namespace
to be created.

   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg00206.html

Unless there are limitations on our doing so based on the CVS
setup, we will proceed with this plan.

 1. create a P5EEX (P5EE-eXperimental) namespace to support prototyping
    and experimentation.  The goal is to allow for people to prove
    their ideas with code, and provide a forum for a meritocracy to
    emerge without polluting the P5EE namespace.
 2. The P5EE namespace will be reserved for things which have been
    proven in the P5EEX namespace and are promoted through some sort
    of vote. (i.e. we will not touch this for now)

Under the P5EEX, we will have a set of code names for different
experimental versions.  I suggested colors exactly because they imply nothing
about the relative merits of the different experimental areas
(i.e. P5EEX::Blue vs. P5EEX::Green).

We can entertain brief discussion on the code naming at this time.
(i.e. would people prefer fish names? star names? greek deities?)
I like colors because there are few connotations associated with them.
I think we should also entertain CPAN-ID's (i.e. P5EEX::SPADKINS),
so that no one feels that the namespace for P5EEX restricts rather
than encourages experimentation.  However, serious experimenters
should apply to this list for an "authorized" code name.  This allows
multiple people to participate on it without seeming like the personal
space of a single developer.

Each experimental area (i.e. P5EEX::Blue) would contain code which is
proposed for promotion to the P5EE namespace. For example

  Experimental Module        Proposed Module (implied)
  P5EEX/Blue.pm              P5EE.pm
  P5EEX/Blue/Context.pm      P5EE/Context.pm
  P5EEX/Blue/Config.pm       P5EE/Config.pm
  P5EEX/Blue/Config/XML.pm   P5EE/Config/XML.pm

or if you want to work on your own without telling the list and
you have a CPAN ID (i.e. SPADKINS),

  Experimental Module            Proposed Module (implied)
  P5EEX/SPADKINS.pm              P5EE.pm
  P5EEX/SPADKINS/Context.pm      P5EE/Context.pm
  P5EEX/SPADKINS/Config.pm       P5EE/Config.pm
  P5EEX/SPADKINS/Config/XML.pm   P5EE/Config/XML.pm

Each experimental module set should be independently submittable to
CPAN, although I don't think it necessary for anyone at this time
to rush out and submit P5EEX code to CPAN. i.e.

  P5EEX-Blue-0.05.tar.gz
  P5EEX-SPADKINS-0.13.tar.gz

Our goal is to experiment, prove the value of code, promote it to
P5EE, and publish

  P5EE-1.00.tar.gz

on CPAN.

Note that people can participate in more than one experimental area.
So, here are the experimental code names planned so far.

   Experimental Code Name       Coordinating Developer
   P5EEX::Blue                  Stephen Adkins

Who else wants one? What color do you want?
(This discussion should take place prior to the CVS coming online.)

Stephen