develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from November 2001

Re: Inline POD vs. External POD

From:
Stas Bekman
Date:
November 14, 2001 09:25
Re: Inline POD vs. External POD
Message ID:
3BF2A8F8.9080203@stason.org
Gerald Richter wrote:

>> 3. Standard "make; make install" for a P5EE module should produce man
>>pages (perldoc),
>>    html pages, PDF, and XML (for further flexible conversion/rendering)
>>

> I don't think this is a good idea. For me using the standard way as
> MakeMaker does (i.e. pod & man) is ok for the default.
>
> There should be another tool, that creates HTML/XML/PDF etc. which can be
> run optional. This other tools would of course need extra information to
> group documentaion together, to make a content page etc. This extra
> information should be part of the module distribution.
>
> Stas is currently writing such a tool for the mod_perl documentation. I plan
> to extent it, especialy to be able to generate XML and do transformations
> from there. If there is any interest I can present the result to list, when
> it's done.... (will probably take two or three weeks)

Yup, the latest version is here:
http://www.apache.org/~stas/site/DocSet-0.03.tar.gz

As Gerald has just mentioned this project should be extensible to
support many other input and output formats. I've done just enough to
get things going with the new mod_perl site and integration with the new
mod_perl documentation project.

I'm not sure about the namespace of this project yet (DocSet is stealing
a whole top level), so it wasn't released on CPAN yet.

The DocSet discussion is here:
http://www.template-toolkit.org/pipermail/template-docset/

I'm very interested in your discussion of javadoc like pod extension.
For mod_perl 2.0 API docs this is exactly what we need. Currently I'm
adding the API docs, but it's a big mess :(

Note that we don't really have to extend pod in order to support things
like APIs declarations; just add normal paragraphs but use special
keywords, similar to javadoc and then extend the parser to recognize and
process these keys. This way other external pod parsers/converters will
still work. I'm not happy with what I've here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/modperl-docs/src/api/mod_perl-2.0/APR/Table.pod?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Hey we can just copy javadoc tokens and throw them into the pods, on the
way extending our pod parser, which should be easy to do.