develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from August 2002

[VOTE] [---] P5EE without Repository and Widget

From:
Stephen Adkins
Date:
August 25, 2002 18:14
Subject:
[VOTE] [---] P5EE without Repository and Widget
Message ID:
3.0.6.32.20020825211347.0104beb0@mail.atl.bellsouth.net
Hi,

There was no discussion on this for 6 days when discussion
was open, so now it is time for a vote.

Here is the proposal put to a vote.

 * Should the P5EEx::Blue (without the Widget and Repository
   Services) be promoted to P5EE (and separate Widget and
   Repository "extended service" distributions be created)?

The possible votes are:

  +1  Do it!
  +0  Yeah. Why not?
  -0  Fine, I won't stand in the way, but it doesn't seem right to me.
  -1  Don't do it! This will do more harm than good.
      (You must state your reasoning in the body of the
      message so that it may be discussed.)

IMPORTANT
  * Please respond to *this mail message* for the vote (so it gets
    archived on the same thread).
  * Please include your vote in the Subject line by replacing
    the "[---]" with "[+1]" or whatever your vote is (as well as in
    the body of the message.  This will let us count votes from the
  * You must state your reasoning if you vote "-1".

The vote will close next Sunday at midnight EDT (GMT-0400).

The standard criteria for who is allowed to vote (i.e. code contributors)
is waived in order that more than one person can vote.

Stephen

BACKGROUND:

A while back, I was determined to discuss, discuss, discuss
until we could get consensus on promoting P5EEx::Blue to
P5EE.  The two main sticking points were that some people
wanted to remove the Repository and Widget services.
(Take a look at the threads that started from 2002/05/11 through
2002/06/18 on the archive.)

   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/

Rather than debate these to death, I've got the following
proposal.  The P5EEx::Blue was already a "backplane" architecture
to be able to create Services with multiple, interchangeable
implementations.  This would allow for other people to
create services which integrate seamlessly with the
P5EE architecture.

So I'm ready to move P5EEx::Blue to P5EE, taking out the
Repository and Widget services, by making them "P5EE Extended
Services" in their own distributions.  P5EE is already made
up of "Core Services" and "Standard Services" in the base
distribution.  This will pave the way for others to create
other services along the same lines.

The one concession that I would seek is that, while the Widget
stuff is removed, that a class be allowed to remain in the
base distribution called "SessionObject" from which Widgets
would be derived.

I propose the following directory structure for CVS.

   http://cvs.perl.org/cvsweb/p5ee/P5EE   [P5EE Base]
   http://cvs.perl.org/cvsweb/p5ee/P5EE-Repository  [an Extended Service]
   http://cvs.perl.org/cvsweb/p5ee/P5EE-Widget      [an Extended Service]

Under each of these directories would be the Makefile.PL, MANIFEST,
README, lib, t, etc. files and directories that make up a
CPAN-able distribution.