develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from September 2002

kick-starting a new focus for P5EE

From:
Stephen Adkins
Date:
September 20, 2002 09:58
Subject:
kick-starting a new focus for P5EE
Message ID:
3.0.6.32.20020920125755.00ee9c88@mail.atl.bellsouth.net
Hi,

As a follow-up to my conclusions from the last vote ...

   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01105.html

and particularly this point

 2. The P5EE project should focus on explaining the various
    solutions to the Enterprise Development problem rather than
    trying to adopt or create a single one at this point.

I would like to propose a new focus for the P5EE project.

I think that the mission of the project is still intact.

   The mission of the P5EE project is to promote the development,
   deployment, and acceptance of Enterprise Systems written in Perl.

However, I think the right strategy to achieve this is to allow
people who do Enterprise Development in perl (or know how to and aspire to)
collect into groups with a more-or-less consistent way of handling
enterprise development problems.

Each group needs core members, who actively use and develop
Perl components in an overall architecture which solves the problems
of enterprise systems (http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/definitions.html)
and who are interested in documenting that architecture and supporting
others in the use of it through the P5EE mailing list.

I think that every Perl *component* generally has a community (i.e.
AxKit, SOAP, POE, Alzabo, Template Toolkit) through its mailing list,
but what is lacking is a community surrounding a complete enterprise
application architecture with all of its constituent components.

I think that these groups will generally form around major/popular
frameworks such as AxKit, bOP, Extropia Toolkit, OpenInteract, etc.

However, what is needed to become a P5EE Group is core member(s) who
are willing to pull together (or write) components in a coherent
architecture which increasingly satisfy all of the requirements
of enterprise systems (http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/definitions.html),
*document this architecture*, and promote this architecture by
supporting users of this architecture through the P5EE mailing list.

Note that the following three elements are critical for a P5EE Group.

  1. COMMUNITY
  2. CODE
  3. DOCUMENTATION

For instance, I volunteer as a core member for a P5EE Group I would
call the "App-Context Group". (I am recasting P5EEx::Blue as App::Context.)
   http://cvs.perl.org/cvsweb/p5ee/App-Context/
I am committed to documenting an architecture that incorporates many
perl components (many of which will be shared by other P5EE Groups)
and which increasingly satisfies the requirements of enterprise development.
I am committed (for the foreseeable future) to supporting other users
who wish to adopt this architecture (subject of course to availability,
like all open source efforts) and working with them to continually
enhance the architecture, its components, and its documentation.

I believe that if we could get several "champions" to make the same
commitments, we could get a handful of P5EE Groups going and
reinvigorate the P5EE project. (Note that a P5EE Group does not need
to be able to satisfy all of the requirements of enterprise development
on day 1.  But it must be committed to *increasingly* satisfy these
requirements.)

This would allow some developer who is investigating the feasibility
of enterprise development in perl to find the P5EE web site, identify
the various *actively supported* architectures, and gain confidence
to get on board with one and begin developing his application according
to its guidelines.

The reason that I think it is desirable for these to all operate
on the P5EE list (or future sublists) is so that there is lots of
interaction and interoperation, and perhaps some convergence.

What do people think about this?
Are there others who want to step forward to form other P5EE Groups?

Stephen