develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2001

looking for more committers

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
June 8, 2001 10:27
Subject:
looking for more committers
Message ID:
20010608122740.L12606@chaos.wustl.edu
I think it's time we nudge the development model of Perl to be a bit
more open by extending the group of people having commit rights to the
Perl repository.

There are many active perl5-porters that submit a lot of patches, both
code (both C and Perl) and documentation patches, and I feel somewhat
silly being a bottleneck.  Some people (including me) could argue that
having a single point of quality control is a good thing, but I think
opening up access to the code would outweigh the potential downsides.

Besides, my style has been more of keeping the caravan moving by
responding as fast as I can, and applying the patches, rather than
going over the patches with fine toothed comb.  If a patch breaks
something, we will quickly find it out, and there are few things
more motivating to fixing things than knowing that you were guilty
of breaking things.

So, if you feel like you have some extra time and you would like to
help by applying patches and also fixing things yourself (many of you
have one or more areas of expertise), please contact me and tell what
particular area are you interested in.  I will need the weekend to
write a crash course to Perforce (there are some instructions in
perlhack, but I think something more succinct is needed).  Those
people having especially many Changes entries are especially urged
to consider acquiring commit rights.  Porting/pumpking.pod and
Porting/patching.pod are required reading, there will a test :-)

I would retain the release master and veto rights, and I guess
nobody else is twisted enough to want the Configure subpumpkin.
(Though I wouldn't turn down offers on that, either.)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen