[xml-rpc] Python to bake-in XML-RPC support (fwd)

From:
Randy J. Ray
Date:
July 11, 2001 17:19
Subject:
[xml-rpc] Python to bake-in XML-RPC support (fwd)
Message ID:
200107120021.f6C0L0j31978@tzimisce.cygnus.com
*sigh*

"As often is the case Python leads the way."

If 5.8 were to have LWP and XML support native, I could ensure that my
RPC::XML package would work, to accomplish the same thing for Perl. I could
probably remove some of the dependancy (some of the usage of LWP packages
could be done with re-invented wheels), but I don't know how else Perl can
face off against this:

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:19:03 -0700
Subject: [xml-rpc] Python to bake-in XML-RPC support

I just got a note from Eric Raymond saying that the Python community [1] has
decided to bake XML-RPC into its standard distribution. He said:

"Fredrik Lundh's xmlrpclib was checked into the CVS tree for Python 2.2 this
morning after about the fastest and most unanimous endorsement I have ever
seen on python-dev.  I am writing the library documentation even as we
speak."

As often is the case Python leads the way. This is a major milestone for
XML-RPC. It's also very important to emphasize [2] that any scripting
environment can be competitive with Microsoft .NET simply by taking this
step. There are already 37 implementations [3] of XML-RPC covering most
programming and scripting environments and operating systems. I would also
like to see SOAP 1.1 broadly supported in non-Microsoft environments. When
support is built into an environment, developers can assume it's there, and
will more likely use it in their applications.

Now which environment will be next?

(I'd love to see Sun take this step with Java.)

Dave

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/015825.html
[2] http://davenet.userland.com/2001/07/09/miguelDeIcaza
[3] http://www.xmlrpc.com/directory/1568/implementations