develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

Re: Perl and files > 2GB

From:
Chip Turner
Date:
September 2, 2001 22:47
Re: Perl and files > 2GB
Message ID:
vzk7kvgomla.fsf@minbar.devel.redhat.com
Jonathan Stowe <gellyfish@gellyfish.com> writes:

> On 31 Aug 2001, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
>
> > Redhat Linux 7.1, perl 5.6.0, kernel 2.4.8-ac7, glibc-2.2.2
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1024k count=2048
> >

> This could be an OS issue - unfortunately I am unable to confirm :
>
> [gellyfish@orpheus gellyfish]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=zogzog bs=1024k count=2048
> dd: writing `zogzog': File too large
> 2048+0 records in
> 2047+0 records out
>
> This RedHat 7.0 with  2.2.16-22 ...

I believe Large files are supported only with 2.4 kernels and certain
glibcs.  Which basically means for proper large file support, you will
need Red Hat 7.1.  Even then, some utilities don't work, Perl being
one.  It is my understanding that USE_LARGE_FILES breaks binary
compatibility, so if you recompile perl, be aware some modules may
have issues unless you recompile them as well.

Chip

--
Chip Turner                   cturner@redhat.com