develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from May 2001

Microsoft .NET Framework

From:
A. C. Yardley
Date:
May 28, 2001 10:18
Subject:
Microsoft .NET Framework
Message ID:
13345453109.20010528122811@tanet.net
I found the below paper while digging around for some additional
information on register-based machines.  I'm posting it because (1)
of Larry's remarks about the importance of
http://windows.oreilly.com/news/hejlsberg_0800.html and (2) others
have, in earlier posts, expressed an interest in additional
information about the .NET stuff.[*]

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/gordon00typing.html

    Abstract: The Microsoft .NET Framework is a new computing
    architecture designed to support a variety of distributed
    applications and webbased services. .NET software components are
    typically distributed in an object-oriented intermediate language,
    Microsoft IL, executed by the Microsoft Common Language Runtime. To
    allow convenient multi-language working, IL supports a wide variety
    of high-level language constructs, including class-based objects,
    inheritance, garbage collection, and a security mechanism based on
    type safe execution. This paper precisely describes the type system
    for a substantial fragment of IL that includes several novel
    features: certain objects may be allocated either on...

/acy

[*]  I apologize if everyone's seen this already.  Fwiw, I did dig
around in the archives a bit and grep'd through my backlog of perl6
related lists to see if anyone has either posted the url or
mentioned the paper before, but couldn't find it.