develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

Should we care much about this Unicode-ish criticism?

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
June 5, 2001 09:18
Subject:
Should we care much about this Unicode-ish criticism?
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.0.20010605121002.0221fe18@24.8.96.48
Courtesy of Slashdot,
http://www.hastingsresearch.com/net/04-unicode-limitations.shtml

I'm not sure if this is an issue for us or not, as we're generally
language-neutral, and I don't see any technical issues with any of the
UTF-* encodings having headroom problems.

It does argue for abstracting out the string handling code a bit so it can
be replaced without completely rebuilding perl, but I'm not sure that it's
that strong an argument. (Though it would be nice to upgrade perl from
Unicode 3.1 to 3.2 with the equivalent of a module upgrade rather than a
full rebuild)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk