develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

Re: Should we care much about this Unicode-ish criticism?

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
June 7, 2001 10:27
Re: Should we care much about this Unicode-ish criticism?
Message ID:
20010607172723.503.4@dromedary.ni-s.u-net.com
Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org> writes:

>It does bring up a deeper issue, however. Unicode is, at the moment,
>apparently inadequate to represent at least some part of the asian
>languages. Are the encodings currently in use less inadequate? I've been
>assuming that an Anything->Unicode translation will be lossless, but this
>makes me wonder whether that assumption is correct.

One reason perl5.7.1+'s Encode does not do asian encodings yet is that
the tables I have found so far (Mainly Unicode 3.0 based) are lossy.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
who is looking for a new job see http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/