develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

Re: Should the op dispatch loop decode?

From:
Benjamin Stuhl
Date:
June 12, 2001 15:41
Re: Should the op dispatch loop decode?
Message ID:
20010612224115.80634.qmail@web14508.mail.yahoo.com
--- Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org> wrote:
> 'Kay, here's a question to ponder. Should the op dispatch
> loop handle
> argument decoding, or should that be left to the opcode
> functions?

[good analysis of trade-off's snipped]

> At the moment I'm leaning towards the functions doing
> their own decoding,
> as it seems likely to be faster. (Though we'd be
> duplicating the decoding
> logic everywhere, and bigger's reasonably bad) Possibly
> mandating shadow
> functions for each opcode function, where the shadow does
> the decoding and
> calls the real functions which take real things rather
> than our registers.
>
> Opinions anyone?

I don't see where shadow functions are really necessary -
after all, no one has ever complained that you can't do

pp_chomp(sv); /* or pp_add(sv1, sv2), for that matter */

in Perl 5. Quite frankly the shadow thing sounds like a
bundle of unnecessary function calls.

But that's just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

-- BKS