develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2001

RE: The internal string API

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
June 20, 2001 09:50
RE: The internal string API
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.0.20010620123809.020c3720@24.8.96.48
At 04:23 PM 6/19/2001 -0700, Hong Zhang wrote:

>This is the common approach of complicated text representation,
>the implemetations I have seen includes IBM IText and SGI
>rope. For "rope", each rope is represented by either of a simple
>immutable string, a simple mutable string, a simple immutable
>substring of another rope, or a binary node of other two ropes.
>We can even add user-defined node for things like memory-
>mapped, or #include etc.
>
>The basic string is just one of the rope type. We can build a
>text package much like SGI rope. I don't think we should make
>the basic string be rope-like, just for complexity and modularity.

I'd agree, but I'm beginning to get comfortable with the idea of complex
string data as a fundamental property of perl 6. (Though not the base
string type) I think I'd like to wait for Larry to weigh in with a yea or
nay, but I'm up for it.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk