develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from August 2001

Re: Something to hash out

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
August 25, 2001 11:07
Re: Something to hash out
Message ID:
20010825185850.B6743@netthink.co.uk
On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 10:37:35AM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> I'm currently thinking of using .pasm as the extension for parrot assembly
> code, and .pbc for precompiled bytecode. (Yes, the interpreter loads and
> runs compiled bytecode from disk. Wheee!) Can anyone think of anything
> better? They seem rather lame. (Bonus points for clever acronyms gotten
> without strain, or puns in any human language)

I was using .pas and .pac. Gotta think about 8.3ness, unfortunately.

On an unrelated note, and seeing Dan Bryan's experiments with different
kinds of switch/dispatch, I think it makes sense to separate out ops
which correspond to PMC vtable functions (add, subtract, etc.) and those
which don't. Those which do can be done with a switch to save a function
call, and those which don't can use function pointers. This achieves
the same objective as auto-generating op wrappers around vtable functions,
(saving one level of indirection) while leveraging the gain from a split-level
op despatch loop.

Simon