develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from December 2001

Request for comments

From:
Melvin Smith
Date:
December 18, 2001 11:42
Subject:
Request for comments
Message ID:
OF3576F218.7F27ECEF-ON85256B26.006B1349@raleigh.ibm.com
Burp, more spam from me...

As I see it there are several immediate questions to be answered for Parrot
IO.
Feel free to answer with Y/N or Maybe.

1) Nick Ing-Simmons' Perl IO for Perl5
     a) Could it easily support the features that Dan wants in Parrot IO
such
          as async stuff?
     b) Does it represent as an abstraction what we want as an API for
Parrot?
     c) Is there a copyright issue?
     d) If (a&b&c) has anyone approached Nick about porting?
     e) If not then goto (2)....

2) What architecture about Perl IO does not fit what Dan wants for Parrot
     (if there are any).

3) Perl IO has conditional compilation for using stdio. Dan has said no
STDIO
     but are we going to abandon conditional support for Parrot?
     (I vote for ditching conditional STDIO support because then its easier
          to stop thinking in STDIO terms...)

4) For platforms out there with broken or no async IO support, do we
emulate
     async (background thread or something) or just say, "tough!?"

I want comments now or else I threaten to post replies to myself in a
creepy third
person way.

-Melvin Smith

IBM :: Atlanta Innovation Center