develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from December 2001

Re: Request for comments

From:
Melvin Smith
Date:
December 19, 2001 08:09
Re: Request for comments
Message ID:
OFB8753186.AF2F5746-ON85256B27.005765BE@raleigh.ibm.com

>> Burp, more spam from me...
>>
>> As I see it there are several immediate questions to be answered for
Parrot
>> IO.
>> Feel free to answer with Y/N or Maybe.
>>
>> 1) Nick Ing-Simmons' Perl IO for Perl5
>>      c) Is there a copyright issue?
>
>Nick's intent all along has been that his work be useful and used in
>perl6.

Yes,
This makes sense just from the amount of time he spent on Perl5 and I
intend to to just that.
 Any work we do will have Nick's credits there, I think after talking to
Dan, Simon and a couple
of others the best route would be to start with a clean slate and then
reuse what we can when
it makes sense rather than a bottom up port from perl5 source code. It also
helps me get a
better handle on the system as it grows, especially since Nick isn't
currently active here.
Maybe he will return to help. :)

One thing we should accomplish will be an API for people to pop in their
own
IO layer by implementing a table of calls. This seems to be where Perl5 was
headed
and I want to make that a priority. (Then of course the whole STDIO
argument will be moot,
if someone wants to glue in their STDIO mapper they can, we are just gonna
ditch all the #ifdef
and not support it by default.)

-Melvin Smith

IBM :: Atlanta Innovation Center