develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from December 2001

setline

From:
Alex Gough
Date:
December 19, 2001 15:38
Subject:
setline
Message ID:
Pine.OSF.4.33.0112192336380.9867-100000@ermine.ox.ac.uk
We're clearly doing this wrong, is it really worth calling
setline every time we *run* the line in question, surely this is
better supported through some sort of bytecode position -> line number
mapping which is created at compile time, essentially a part of the
bytecode format, rather than an opcode? (imagine if you will:

my int $i = 0;
$i++
 until $i > 10000;
print "done\n";

currently would need to be:

	setline	1
	set	I0, 0
BAR:	setline	2
	inc	I0
	setline	3
	gt	I0, 10000, FOO
	branch	BAR
FOO:	setline	4
	print	"done\n"

	end

yuck!)

Alex Gough
--
   is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It
   isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.