develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from December 2001

Re: Generators -- Icon, Python, YAML and YATL

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
December 31, 2001 06:57
Re: Generators -- Icon, Python, YAML and YATL
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.2.20011231095324.021e0a70@pop.sidhe.org
At 03:01 AM 12/31/2001 -0500, Sam Tregar wrote:
>After reading that I'm only left wondering how this concept connects with
>continuations.  Something tells me that if we implement continuations then
>coroutines and generators will fall out nearly for free.  On the other
>hand, if we don't do continuations then I think this will be quite hard.
>Simply put, either we figure out how to package up program state into a
>nice package or we don't.  Um, I think.

Parrot's doing coroutines and continuations. It's one of the things that's
making the sub calling bits a little interesting. (You can do them all with
continuations, but those are really overkill for generators, which you'd
kinda like to be efficient if at all possible)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk