develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from January 2002

RE: Another regex question

From:
Brent Dax
Date:
January 13, 2002 00:53
RE: Another regex question
Message ID:
FJELLKOPEAGHOOODKEDPGEOPDAAA.brentdax@cpan.org
Simon Cozens:
# On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:37:50PM -0800, Brent Dax wrote:
# > You sure about that?  I've got an rx_compile op slotted
# in--would that
# > be appropriate?
#
# Only if every single language hosted by Parrot compiles regexes in the
# same way.

It's meant to be a simple fallback for languages that are too pathetic
to implement their own regex compiler.  ("FooLang should have regular
expressions, but I'm too lazy!  I'll just use rx_compile!")  Currently
I'm thinking of it as having a minimal feature set, less-than-phenomenal
performance, and little optimization.

Decent languages, like Perl, will probably implement their own
compilers.  This will allow them to support special syntaxes (think
(?{}) and the like) and optimize the hell out of things.

--Brent Dax
brentdax@cpan.org
Parrot Configure pumpking and regex hacker

<obra> mmmm. hawt sysadmin chx0rs
<lathos> This is sad. I know of *a* hawt sysamin chx0r.
<obra> I know more than a few.
<lathos> obra: There are two? Are you sure it's not the same one?