develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from February 2002

Parrot is very (intentionally) broken

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
February 8, 2002 03:44
Subject:
Parrot is very (intentionally) broken
Message ID:
20020208114637.GA30485@netthink.co.uk
I've just committed some changes after which Parrot will not compile.
This is quite deliberate. Basically, I'm trying to get the keyed stuff
working the way we want, and that requires some painful changes to the
source. The upshot is:

    All the vtable functions _index and index_s are dead; they've been
removed from the vtable structure, and so things which expect to find
them won't compile.
    I've added another multimethod, _keyed, which does their job. This
means the vtable structure has been rearranged, and everything depending
on it will break.
    Arrays and hashes won't work at all until they're rewritten to use
keys instead of integer/string indices.

I'm working on unbreaking it, patches welcome.

--
You are in a maze of little twisting passages, all different.