develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from June 2002

Possibility of XS support

From:
Dave Goehrig
Date:
June 25, 2002 06:47
Subject:
Possibility of XS support
Message ID:
20020625084120.A31303@sdlperl.org

Last night I wanted to see just how much of the API very vanilla
XS code would require.  In the limited sampling I did, I found
37 distinct functions and macros.  Based on this, I'd say a reasonable
guestimate for minimal core functionality is about 50 distinct functions.

Best guesses would place reasonably featured XS support at somewhere
like a mixture 150-250 function calls and macros, where reasonably
featured implies some minimal amount of work to get the wierdest
XS modules working. (which would be expected with any serious internals
revision).

Porting 50 functions doesn't seem that unreasonable to save thousands
of hours of work.  I'd be willing to take the initial stab at it
unless someone else is more motivated.

--
	David J. Goehrig 		dave@cthulhu-burger.org

All reports, excluding those of historical fact, may be considered speculative.
	- a faceless Compaq disclaimer