develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from July 2002

[COMMIT] Make rework...

From:
Jeff
Date:
July 6, 2002 11:17
Subject:
[COMMIT] Make rework...
Message ID:
3D273207.1791EB6C@hargray.com
For those of us that don't read commit mail (Like me :), a primitive
first cut of a new Make system has finally gone in. At the risk of
recapping the commit message, here goes. The system is in two parts. The
first is the new make.pl script, which defines the basic dependencies
programmatically. Dependencies simply become objects that can be
evaluated at runtime. Satisfying the dependencies simply means building
a sequence of commands designed to generate the missing or
not-up-to-date files.

The other part is the admitted mess of code over in lib/Make that
attempts to properly build actions for each dependency. In reality, one
of the few things I don't like about this arrangement (other than the
weird constructors and explicit declaration of a few things is the fact
that I don't export anything automaticaly, considering it's supposed to
be a pure OO module (despite the twisted interpretation thereof).

It sort of handles Win32 quirks, but those haven't been tested due to
temporary lack of access to a Win32 box, and it's missing a few explicit
targets (such as Link_Shared). Also, I have no doubt this will have a
violent collision with the real world. For instance, in starting to
translate the current make system to it I've found missing flag settings
(-lm &c) and some dependency situations that I may not have remembered
to take care of. Some of the fixes will be checked in over the next few
days.

Comments, criticisms &c welcome.
--
Jeff <jgoff@perl.org><drforr@hargray.com>