develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from July 2002

Adding the system stack to the root set

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
July 10, 2002 15:50
Subject:
Adding the system stack to the root set
Message ID:
a05111b09b9522c763541@[63.120.19.221]
Okay, one of the outstanding problems we've had is in adding the
system stack to the root set. A number of depressingly unpleasant
solutions have been proposed (most of 'em by me :) but they're all
hackish and expensive in the common case, which is not needing to GC
anything.

Turns out, though, that with our current scheme we can walk the
system stack easily enough on platforms with a contiguous stack. So
that's what we're going to do. The GC'll walk the stack (which
should, generally speaking, have very little data on it) and mark all
the PMCs and Buffers for which pointers can be found as live.

Yes, this is an issue for systems with a chunked stack. As far as I
know that only applies to the various ARM OSes, and for those we'll
have to have some different system specific code to deal with the
stack. (Which is fine)

--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk