develooper Front page | perl.perl6.internals | Postings from July 2002

Re: Mutable vs immutable strings

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
July 11, 2002 10:13
Re: Mutable vs immutable strings
Message ID:
a05111b1ab9536b4acd50@[63.120.19.221]
At 11:37 PM -0700 7/10/02, Ashley Winters wrote:
>On Wednesday 10 July 2002 08:18 pm, Melvin Smith wrote:
>>  I was referring to the above situation where a lexical might be optimized
>>  away without being stored in a pad (for %MY).
>
>I would *hope* %MY is only modified at compile-time. I wouldn'd be upset if
>Perl ignored my attempts to access %MY at runtime.

%MY is alterable at runtime, though I think Larry's declared that we
only have to respect the variable addition and deletions to it that
are made before mainline program execution begins.

I'm not sure what the stand is on altering the types of existing
variables at runtime is. I know their values will be both readable
and writable at runtime.

>As for eval, if I ever need a CS master's thesis subject, I could always try
>this...

Check with Damian. He's looking for students. (No, I'm not kidding)

>Yes, my Scheme interpreter written in Perl6 is coming along nicely. Muahaha!
>(kidding, obviously)

Of course, since it's written in Parrot assembly... ;-P

--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk