develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from April 2001

a modest proposal Re: s/./~/g

From:
Fred Heutte
Date:
April 25, 2001 18:16
Subject:
a modest proposal Re: s/./~/g
Message ID:
200104260116.f3Q1GTb13632@glisan.hevanet.com
It seems to me that ~ relates to forces (operators, functions and methods)
more than to atoms (scalars), so to speak.  It's the curve of binding Perl
at work here.

So why not leave  .  alone and have  ~  substitute for  ->

$mydsn->Sql("$mysqlstmt " . $moresql) ;
$mydsn~Sql("$mysqlstmt " . $moresql) ;

Yes, I know ~ is the bitwise negation operator.  Have you EVER used it?
Besides, as far as I can tell from a first-order look, the two meanings
would not have to be rival (as in a different way \ for denoting a
reference and \ for denoting an escaped byte are not).

Fred