develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from May 2001

Re: So, we need a code name...

From:
Larry Wall
Date:
May 3, 2001 12:34
Re: So, we need a code name...
Message ID:
200105031932.MAA09950@kiev.wall.org
Edward Peschko writes:
: > : (is a nice city in Italy with a great symbol, the tower of Pisa).
: > :
: > : a    'P'  at the beginning, which means  'Perl',
: > : an   'I'  which may mean                 'Interpreter',
: > : a    'S'  which may means                'Six'
: > : an   'A'  which may means                'Alpha'
: >
: > I suggest [1]Peterbilt.  </thread>
:
: Why not parrot, again?

Too many dead parrot jokes?  Too many lousy acronyms?

    Platform-Agnostic Rabidly Rapid Object Thrasher

Urque.

Since it's something underlying Perl, I'd suggest a decrement of
"Perl", which would of course be "Perk".  The Java engine would have
to be "Perj", I guess, which seems fitting somehow.  The C# engine might
be "Peri" because it's around whether you like it or not.

Then Perl language variants could go the other way and be:

    Perm	Micro Perl
    Pern	Nano Perl
    Pero	Java Perl
    Perp	Python Perl
    Perq	Quick Perl
    Perr	Ruby Perl
    Pers	Strict Perl
    Pert	Typesafe Perl
    Peru	Unforgivable Perl
    Perv	Vectorized Perl
    Perw	Wonky Perl
    Perx	Experimental Perl
    Pery	Yet Another Perl
    Perz	Zany Perl
    Pesa	your ad here
    Pesb	your ad here

'Course, at that rate, we eventually get back to "Pisa"...

Appearances notwithstanding, I am seriously suggesting "Perk".  The name
is, er, perky.  Hopefully the implementation would be too.

Larry