develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from June 2001

Re: Per-object inheritance in core a red herring?

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
June 29, 2001 06:52
Re: Per-object inheritance in core a red herring?
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.0.20010629094002.02092308@24.8.96.48
At 10:32 PM 6/28/2001 -0400, Michael G Schwern wrote:
>The rule of thumb has always been if you can do it in a module, don't
>put it in the core.  Well, we can do it in a module.  Work on the
>module, don't complicate the core.

Doing it properly in a module is significantly more of a pain than doing it
in the core. Faking it with a module means a fair amount of (reasonably
slow) perl code, doing it in the core requires a few extra lines of C code
in the method dispatch opcode function.

Besides, there are languages that do this on a per-object basis all the
time anyway (aren't there? I think there are) in which case it makes sense
to yank it into the core interpreter, as it'll be supporting more than just
perl.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk