develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from August 2001

Re: explicitly declare closures???

From:
Eric Roode
Date:
August 21, 2001 06:21
Re: explicitly declare closures???
Message ID:
200108211321.JAA03159@verne.myxa.com
John Porter wrote:

>Dave Mitchell wrote:
>> ie by default lexicals are only in scope in their own sub, not within
>> nested subs - and you have to explicitly 'import' them to use them.
>
>No.  People who write closures know what they're doing.
>
>When's the last time someone "accidentally" wrote a closure?

People using mod_perl do it all the time:
    http://www.perlreference.com/mod_perl/guide/obvious.html

I don't agree with the original proposal, since 'use diagnostics'
will tell you about closures -- but people DO create closures by
mistake, and it can be a very difficult bug to trace if you aren't
used to closures.
 Eric J. Roode                                            eric@myxa.com
 Senior Software Engineer, Myxa Corporation