develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from August 2001

Re: Expunge implicit @_ passing

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
August 28, 2001 06:13
Re: Expunge implicit @_ passing
Message ID:
20010828091325.B17775@blackrider
On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:10:40AM -0400, Ken Fox wrote:
> One of the cool things about Perl's OO system is that it lets
> us invent new type systems. This IMHO is its greatest strength.
> Perhaps this is also why some OO people hate Perl's OO?

Yes, this sort of thing FRIGHTENS THE HELL out of non-Perl people.
This is not a bad thing, it just means they have to stop expecting the
language designer to dictate their whole universe.  They can only see
hordes of malicious hackers and irresponsible junior programmers
blowing away their classes at run-time.

As the pendulum swings in the other direction you get mind-bogglingly
silly things like finalize which I just learned of today.

I'm going to be giving a talk about just this sort of thing at JAOO to
a room full of Java people.  Should be interesting.

--

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One
Your average appeasement engineer is about as clued-up on computers as